Saturday 3 May 2014

Cinderella Girls in the City

 Once upon a time in world full of ‘Plenty of Fish’ and suburbs full of settled friends; girls from far and wide commuted into the city in an attempt to meet men. These girls were known as ‘Cinderella girls’ by native London speed daters. They came wearing conservative evening dresses and had the National Rail App installed on their phones. I had just been labelled as one of them!

The term ‘Cinderella Girl’ was first introduced to me by a frequent speed dater called Matthew. Matthew was thirty-three, eccentric and a hopeless romantic that believe in the power of speed dating (not my type).  He explained to me how girls from far and wide (meaning girls from Essex, Reading and Surrey) commute into the city in the pursuit of meeting men. He called these girls ‘Cinderella girls’. As just like Cinderella having to get in her pumpkin to go home before midnight, these girls rush to get the last train home from London.

“Now I don't date any girls from outside of zones 1-3 in London…too much heartbreak” Matthew abruptly told me.

Then I got thinking…what is so good about guys from the city?

Do girls assume they earn more, work in the stock market and live a glamorous lifestyle in the concrete jungle?

I got talking to a fellow ‘Cinderella girl’ from Surrey (met her at a speed dating event in London).

“So what brings you to London for speed dating?” I enquired.

“At twenty pounds per a ticket…you're meeting a different calibre of men at the bar” she firmly replied.

I guess Cinderella didn't meet Prince Charming at her local pub…but then again it depends on what your idea of Prince Charming is in the first place.

Nothing wrong with a beer and burger…just saying!





No comments:

Post a Comment